This year I found a bunch of amazing moments and quotes about the creative process. I’ve collected the best of the year here in the Editor’s Picks page. Some of my favorites:
- Hayao Miyazaki on His Life’s Work
- Amy Poehler’s Motto
- Patton Oswalt on Depression
- Stephen Colbert on Grief
- Elizabeth Gilbert on Work, Fear and Time
- Gary Snyder on the Surprise of a Poem
If you’re interested in how amazing people think about creative work get on the list and I’ll send you one email every saturday morning with a few to chew on: get on the list »
- Every Morning I am Pulled Apart — Medium
- What If You Made Up Your Own Holiday Traditions? — Medium
- When an Internet Friend Dies
- Motivation Secret: Care About Yourself (Video)
I’m experimenting with using medium for more thinky-writey stuff, using IcetotheBrim.com for quotes, links, and smaller stuff this year. We’ll see how that works in 2016.
- 2 Experts Share Exactly How to Use a Productivity Journal (& Increase Productivity by 23%) FS099
- How to Create Your own Definition of Success (FS140)
- How to Manage a Side Project With a Full Time Job (FS115)
- The Female Perspective on Startups and Lifestyle Businesses (FS111)
- 23 Tips to Uncover What to do With Your Life (When You Have no Clue, FS096)
If you only listen to one, do the first. These episodes are some of the most popular this year from The Fizzle Show. I hate how these headlines sound but if you give us an hour of your time you’ll see how much further these conversations go than you’d expect.
Large Small Business Pieces
- How to Name Your Business (download this 10-category evaluation worksheet)
- The Podcaster’s High Quality Microphone Shootout
- Blog Strategy 101: The 14 Step Video Guide
- 50+ Sites for Free Images, Fonts & Icons for Your Blog
- How To Design A Great Ebook Without Design Skills (+ 10 Ebook Page Templates For Your Book)
Big Ass Projects
- Fizzle’s Small Business Roadmap (9 Stages) — this was a huge effort undertaken by the Fizzle team, it’s shaping what Fizzle looks like in the future, and I’m very proud of it.
- 25 Up-And-Coming Indie Entrepreneurs to Watch in 2015 — we did a bunch of research within Fizzle to highlight some great work being done by awesome people.
- Fizzle’s Guide to the Top 10 Mistakes in Online Business — massive update to the design of one of our classic pieces of content.
- Completely rewrote and filmed Fizzle’s onboarding process. Proud of this one.
- Shareable Images for Blogs & Social Media — a course I made that represents the style of courses I want to make more of.
- What Fizzlers Accomplished in 2015 — didn’t plan on doing this, really glad we did.
Heading into 2016
My wife and I have been in therapy together for almost a year now. It’s been excellent. I’m seeing a little under the surface of the desires and impulses that push me around my life. I’m very engaged in this process and it’s just getting started.
Here’s a piece that shares a bit more about what I’m seeing and what I expect to shape what the first part of 2016 looks like: Every Morning I am Pulled Apart.
Happy new year, you guys.
Personal Moments of 2015
- Took Aiden to Disneyland, rode his first coaster with him.
- Saw Rob Bell and Pete Holmes with Jason, John and Alex.
- Ate at Prettymans a lot.
- Stayed a weekend with Mellisa in Astoria.
- Chopped the shit outta my finger. G’dam Kale salads.
- Went to Mexico and surfed with a chopped up finger.
- Made a bunch of puzzles with aiden.
- Found out about the 36 questions with Corbett and Jessalyn.
- Got this photo taken of me as well as a bunch of other Fizzle photos.
- Built a house , moved in and threw a BBQ on the first day with a bunch of great friends and my parents, neighbor came over real pissed at 10:09 telling us “CITY ORDINANCE IS TEN O CLOCK!”
- Went to WWDC with some great friends. Also, XOXO.
- This picture and this picture were taken. Holy smokes.
- I went to Jaga Jelderks in SF with Andy, introducing him to Pleasanton CA where I grew up. We also rode bikes all around the city.
- I built a big ass shelf for the office in our new house.
- We did a few friends trips: ZigZag with Decker, Kacie and Jake; Benson with the gang; Benson with just aiden and I (where he learned how to ride on his own); Rockaway Beach with the gang; Tahoe with Mellisa’s company.
- My wife and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary on a 2 week trip of Europe.
- Dressed up like H. I. and Ed McDunnough for halloween.
- Aiden started taking pictures with my camera. We got him his own for Xmas.
- All finished up by sharing New Year’s Eve with the gang, the last moments of which were spent screaming Fix You into the night and picking up boxes with our teeth.
7 Days of Creative Wisdom:
If you want to follow your own path as a creative, why not take advice of the wisest creatives in history? Enter your email to receive 7 days of creative wisdom from the greats — 7 bite sized emails of creative wisdom in 7 days.